Sunday, September 28, 2014

Being Grateful during Hard Times

A few days ago, I read an article in the Ensign, "Grateful in Any Circumstances" by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf and I have thought of what I have gone through for the past few years. I thought I should write down about it but I haven't yet until we had a lesson on the exact article by President Uchtdorf today in R.S. I thought I will go ahead and and take advantage of this opportunity again for real. I had gone so so much of things lately for the past few years. I was indeed being tested of my faith, patience, and how I will take it and my attitude. It wasn't easy at all! But I tried to keep onto my faith, be strong, and pray for strength that I will make it through. I felt alone but I just knew I wasn't at all since I have my Heavenly Father right there. I do have my support of my family and friends but sometimes I keep things quiet because that's what I usually do and not to make big deal out of it. I thought of several experiences that I have gone through. Then I realized that I did have been trying to find good things out of bad things. It all have to do with your attitude! And how grateful you are. And what you have learned from your experiences. I think it's important that we can be still be grateful especially in our hearts no matter what is happening or going on around you.

I will share one story that had happened to me two summer ago in August. We were having FHE at a park near my home. I joined a group that are playing soccer in a circle. I took off my flip flops and was barefoot when playing soccer. I was having a good time kicking the soccer ball. Then there is one time when a soccer ball was coming toward me and the other guy right next to me. We both decided to go after the ball and at same time, we both kicked the ball at the same time. I wasn't thinking at the time! But I screamed out loud and tried to calm myself with the pain I was experiencing after the kick into the soccer ball and the guy. Then I looked down at my ankle and it was throbbing bad and had already swelled up big like the size of pong ball or so. But I was able to stand just fine and even walk! So I was a bit glad about it. I was really careful for the rest of the night and not to put much stress on my ankle as I finish up FHE and pack everything up as it was my calling as FHE Mother at the time. Then I got home, I started to hop around for the rest of the night and some of the morning the next day. Then I finally put on some pressure on it later in the day and walk around but still at same time, I was careful and cautious about it. It has really big bruise all round, so purple and black. And it hurts. It has been going on for a couple of weeks. It hurts some once in awhile. I was getting a bit frustrated about it. So I just decided it's better to get my ankle checked out to make sure it's NOT broken at all and it isn't. It is just a deep bruise and will still take another couple of weeks to heal. Man, it was hard to wait and be patience for my ankle to heal! One day, I went to Stake Activity for my ward where they have a Sports Night. I wish I would be able to involve in those activities but I can't do much. There is one time as I was walking right behind a girl to move to another activity. The girl was running to grab a frisbee in the air but she landed wrong and was on the ground. So I hurried up to her to look at her and see what had happened. I noticed that she was grabbing and holding her ankle. So I looked at her ankle and I just was very shocked to see how bad it was! I just knew it was way worse than mine. Her ankle had swelled up really bad to a size of tennis ball. It has really swelled up really fast and kept growing in front of my eyes. I just knew it was really bad than what I had experienced a few days ago. A few hours later on Facebook, I found out that she had indeed broken her ankle! Big Ouch. From this experience, I am very very grateful that it haven't happened to me that way although I have been struggling with the ankle and not be able to do things and walk normally! So we can always find good things in a bad circumstances or situations if we look hard or think about it and especially be grateful in our hearts and to Heavenly Father. Heavenly Father loves us very much. I don't why He will put me through those kind of trials and challenges that He has given me but I know I will know why some day and be able to learn from my experiences for later in my life to teach myself, and others. You will never know… :)
"We can choose to be grateful, no matter what."
- President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

No comments: